|Location||Nelson, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||27 January 2021|
Assistant Manager - Horticulture/Viticulture
Permanent – Full time
Waimea Nurseries is one of New Zealand’s largest nurseries, growing fruit trees for orchardists, and fruit, ornamental and berry plants for garden retailers. Established in 1971, the nursery now covers over 250 hectares with a mix of field and container tree production. The main nursery site is located 10 minutes from Richmond on the Waimea Plains and offers a fabulous work culture with the ability to grow and develop in the business.
Waimea Nurseries has an exciting new opportunity for an experienced horticultural or viticulture enthusiast. Reporting to the Production Manager, the Assistant Manager - Rootstock will oversee the propagation, growing and harvest of over 2.5 million rootstocks which we produce annually for use within our nursery.
To be successful in this role you must have experience working in a leadership position in horticulture or viticulture with proven organisational and planning abilities. This role will be responsible for leading a team of over a dozen staff during our busy winter season and includes plenty of seasonal variety.
- A diploma or higher (or the equivalent level of experience) in horticulture, viticulture or a similar field would be preferred.
- Proven experience leading others and managing staff to help them achieve production and quality targets.
- Have an attention to detail, be capable of forward planning and organising people and resources.
- Enjoy working outdoors, be physically fit, and ideally have experience operating horticultural or viticulture machinery
- Hold a current, full NZ driver’s license.
Waimea Nurseries offers a unique, friendly and supportive workplace culture with our family orientated business structure. Benefits of working at Waimea Nurseries include:
- Free end of month staff lunches that promote team building.
- An additional days Birthday leave for all permanent employees.
- Supported NZQA industry specific training.
If you enjoy working with others and would like to join our fabulous team then we would love to hear from you!
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Applications close: 8 February 2021