|Location||Tauranga, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||15 November 2020|
AVOCO is New Zealand’s leading Avocado exporter. New Zealand’s isolated location as regards proximity to horticultural markets for time affected produce means that the ability to manage the supply chain is a significant challenge. To this end, AVOCO is looking to expand its technical team, and is looking for a unique blend of Agricultural Science (specialising in Avocados), supply chain and in-market experience to join our team for the 2021-22 season (Note that at this stage, this is a 1 year fixed term contract, starting in June of 2021, in time for the 2021/22 season).
It is the AVOCO growers’ desire to maintain profitability while at the same time striving to enrich the natural systems in which production is taking place. The avocado community has fully embraced the principle of “Te Taiao” described in the Primary Industries recently released strategy “fit for a better world”. It is imperative that the person applying for the position has the experience and desire to develop production methods which produce the best of fruit while minimizing impacts on the environment; enhancing the “ability to grow sustainably and effectively”.
Ideally, the candidate would have the following characteristics:
- Post graduate level study in Agricultural Science (Avocado specialisation)
- 10 years post study Avocado growing, technical and supply chain and in-market work experience
- Able to advise growers of on-farm best-practice regarding all aspects of growing, including disease, ferterliser issues
- Able to present on technical matters to Growers and Post-harvest Entities at Grower and Packer meetings
- To ensure that fruit is handled to improve fruit quality, gate to plate, demonstrable experience to advise:
- shipping lines on best-practice regarding container conditions
- international service providers in-market on best-practice
- retail customers staff on in-store best-practice
- Demonstrable ability in written communication as regards reports and articles for publication
- Knowledge of Avocado Compliance Programs, and Quality Management systems
Expected salary range would be $105k to $120k, subject to qualifications and experience.
Please send your CV and covering letter giving further background information relevant to your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org