|Location||504 Woodcocks Rd, Warkworth, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||26 September 2021|
** PLEASE UPLOAD INTERNSHIP REGISTRATION FORM (https://gohorticulture.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/GoHort-Application-Form-2020.pdf)
*** Students are encouraged to upload a short video, describing why they want to be a part of this internship
About: Southern Paprika Limited (SPL) is a leading New Zealand capsicum grower located in Warkworth. We operate 27 hectares of glasshouse with plans for expansion. SPL supplies to large domestic and export markets. We also grow mini cucumbers for Countdown and pack avocados for the domestic market.
We are keen to develop an intern over the summer as part of our glasshouse team.
What will the intern be doing?
This is a physical and busy role being available to assist the glasshouse management team with some of our projects:
- Pest control research (TSM/Western Flower Thrip), involving bioassays and trialling.
- Improvement of our mini cucumber program, observation/data collection from alternative varieties, crop techniques, climate etc.
- Assistance in grafting trials, establishing effective procedures.
In between project work you will have the opportunity to learn more about our business and participate in daily work tasks in the glasshouse like harvesting, pruning and twisting, pest and disease scouting, maintenance and so on.
You can get an insight into the grading, packing and dispatch functions in our workplace. And grow an understanding of the support functions like sales, finance, human resources, health & safety and compliance. Giving you an overall appreciation of our operation.
Full Time, November/December 2021 to February 2022
- Happy to work in the heat and humidity of a glasshouse.
- You must have a good work ethic, be keen to learn, a practical thinker and show initiative.
- Studying towards a horticultural qualification and experience and/or an interest in production horticulture would be advantageous.
- Hours are normally Monday to Friday 7.30am to 5.00pm but must be flexible with working hours to meet the demands of our summer peak production period.
Benefits Included: Hourly rate, minimum 32 hours per week. No rain off days, classed as essential business should there be another lock down. This is an opportunity to learn from the largest single site glasshouse, capsicum growing operation in New Zealand.
If you would like to take this opportunity and possibly start a career in horticulture apply now for this exciting internship.