|Location||Ohaupo, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||12 November 2020|
Blueberry Country is a family owned business based in Ohaupo in the Waikato. We have established Orchards in Ohaupo, Ngatea, and Otautau (Southland) and have an orchard under development in Waipu (Northland). We are New Zealand’s Largest holder of Blueberry land with 560 acres (230 hectares) currently in production.
Our head office and main packing facilities are located just 20 minutes south of Hamilton, and the blueberries are grown, harvested, frozen and packed all on site. We also run Pick Your Own (PYO) and café operations through the summer across all our existing orchards.
As the Orchard Manager for Blueberry Country you will be responsible for overseeing your team of orchard staff to optimize production of the Ngatea Orchard. Providing guidance and training to orchard staff, setting budgets, and ultimately improving orchard performance. Ensuring excellent direction of orchard tasks, development, and supervisory personnel. As the company’s Orchard Manager, you will ultimately maintain and build on the level of supply and its profitability and conduct various trials to improve the overall success of the orchard.
- Orchard plans are followed according to best practice and are adapted where necessary to ensure optimal results for Ngatea orchard.
- Ensuring Health and Safety processes and procedures are followed.
- Direct and coordinate Orchard staff, ensuring all orchard activities, such as irrigation, general maintenance, chemical application, and harvesting are completed in a timely manner.
- Recording and reporting key orchard data.
- Ensuring all orchard compliance is upkept.
- Ensure spraying has been carried out, along with maintaining diaries and assessing chemical usage.
- Management of the Cafe Manager during the fresh season (December to February).
Maintaining accurate administrative records of orchard activities including spray registers, work progress, payroll, health & safety reports and expenditure records combined with expanded management responsibilities.
What you need to succeed:
• Previous orchard experience and/or relevant qualifications.
• NZ drivers’ license with F endorsement.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships.
• Strong interpersonal skills, ability to multitask and a keen eye for detail.
• Ability to train, supervise and lead staff.
• Willingness to work in all weather conditions.
• Willingness to work flexible hours during the peak seasons (Dec-Mar).
• Basic math & computer skills