|Location||Far North- Aupouri Peninsula, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||17 May 2020|
Honeytree Farms is a New Zealand Company committed to growing first class avocados. Based in the Far North on the Aupouri Peninsula, we have a subtropical climate that is low in elevation and surrounded by ocean beaches. With over 2000 sunshine hours per year it is a great place to live and work.
Honeytree’s orchard is 114ha - with ~80ha of high density plantings developed over the last four years. The orchard has been developed to a very high standard with significant investment in land preparation and orchard development. Having completed the initial orchard development, Honeytree is now seeking a permanent Orchard Manager to run the day-to-day operations of the orchard.
Honeytree is committed to the highest standards, with a strong focus on:
- Risk management – encompassing health & safety, food safety, biosecurity management
- Growing responsibly – including minimising Honeytree’s environmental footprint
- Economic sustainability – building a strong, profitable and rewarding enterprise
We require an Orchard Manager with a good understanding of agronomy, irrigation and production of avocado / horticultural crops who will be responsible for all orcharding operations.
Your primary function will be to plan and coordinate farming operations to meet the overall orchard plan and production goals. You will co-ordinate operational plans and make effective use of the team and resources available to deliver against agreed targets.
Experience in orchard management, irrigation, harvesting, agronomy, people management, planning and coordinating farm activities in a horticultural business environment are essential. The orchard produces high quality avocados. The property has been professionally established and managed and there is room for further growth.
The role includes the following:
- Management of all orchard operations for the property to maximise orchard performance (crop yield and quality within agreed budgets), including:
- Management of the orchard staff and contractors
- Planning weekly work program and priorities
- Manage the irrigation scheduling and maintenance
- Manage and record regular orchard pest and disease monitoring and leaf and soil tests for plant nutrition
- Deliver and record all spray programs
- Ensure the appropriate maintenance of orchard plant and equipment
- Participation in regular updates with the board and shareholders, including:
- Regular operational updates
- Reviewing performance against targets with the board and shareholders
- Inputting into the budget and forecasting process
- Leadership of health and safety initiatives (deliver and achieve a safe working site)
- Leadership of a program to drive continuous improvement of orchard performance:
- Trialling new growing methodologies
- Trialling new equipment and processes
Honeytree is looking for a long term Orchard Manager who will manage the orchard “as if it were their own”. Honeytree will provide training and professional development as needed to support the right individual in this role.
We are looking for someone who fits in and who has an instinctive understanding and knowledge of horticultural agronomy.
This is a rare attribute and is usually the difference between average and outstanding orchards.
Ideally you will be able to tick off most of the following in terms of skills and experience:
- Extensive experience in Horticultural Management roles (or equivalent)
- Pest and disease identification
- Orchard equipment and operation
- Experience in coordinating and managing staff
- Practical technical horticultural skills
- Comprehensive communication skills
An appropriate remuneration structure will be agreed with the successful applicant. This will include a bonus or incentive structure linked to orchard performance along with the option to invest in the orchard.
All applications and enquiries will be treated as confidential.