|Location||Waikato, New Zealand|
|Date Posted||16 November 2021|
This is a great role for someone looking for seasonal work in the outdoor environment, with opportunities to travel around your local district!
We are looking for Seasonal Sample Collectors to join our team based around the Coromandel for the upcoming Kiwifruit season. Our branch operates seven days a week during the kiwifruit season and collects and tests samples of kiwifruit from orchards to see if they meet the Zespri guidelines for export.
We will have two types of fixed-term samplers:
- Core Samplers - Expected to work up to six days per week
- Part-time Samplers - Expected to work up to four days per week
No experience is necessary and full training is provided.
This role is for a fixed-term period with seasonal work starting February ramping up in March and running through to June, working variable hours per week. Duties will include driving to orchards and collecting kiwifruit (on foot) as required for each sample, and then driving the collected samples to the nearest drop off point. It is expected that Samplers will be ready to start collecting at the first orchard at daybreak (around 6am) and will generally be finished by mid-afternoon. Samplers will be assigned their work for the following day between 5-9pm. Samplers may work alone or in pairs and will be well supported by our Field Team Leaders.
Skills and experience:
- Good map reading skills
- Ability to work within set timeframes
- Flexible due to the seasonal nature of this role
- Ability to use phone and software apps
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate resilience and adapt quickly to change
- Clean driving history, full class one drivers licence
- An ability to work unsupervised and to be self-motivated
- Maintain professionalism and respect confidentiality
- Team player, able to create a good working relationship with other staff in the team and across the company
- Candidates are expected to have a good level of fitness, you will walk up to 16km per day and collect kiwifruit samples weighing 12-16kg from under pergola structures 1.7-1.8m tall.
All field activities must adhere to our Quality and health and safety standards and sample collection is carried out rain or shine so long as it is safe to do so.
This role will suit practical people who enjoy working outdoors. Ideally suited to candidates already working in the kiwifruit industry with time available March - June or kiwifruit orchardists looking to observe other orchard operations whilst filling an important industry role. Experience working in orchards is an advantage but kiwifruit experience is not necessary.
What we offer:
- Competitive hourly rates
- New company vehicles
- Early starts and early finishes
- You will be supported with the tools and equipment to carry out the role including smart phone, job management application and lone worker monitoring solution
- A positive company culture
Hill Laboratories is a family-friendly, values driven and mature New Zealand owned business. As a Seasonal Sample Collector you will be part of a great team providing services to the wider Kiwifruit industry.
This role is open to all candidates - those on a working holiday visa or work visa (excluding SSE visa holders) are welcome to apply